Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Chicken, Mushrooms, and Onions in a Balsamic Cream Sauce over Pasta


First off, I apologize for the extremely long name of this dish. To be honest, I really don't know what to call it. I started off the afternoon wanting Chicken Marsala, but ending up making something somewhat different. I remember not too long ago seeing a recipe with a Balsamic sauce, so I thought I'd incorporate that rather than the Marsala wine. Also, PC and I are a big fan of onions, so I threw that in the sauce as well. So if I were rename this dish, I guess I would call it 'Chicken not-so Marsala'.

I must warn you, this dish may give you a food coma afterward. I know I wanted to run some errands after making the dish, but I am very comfortable with how the couch feels right now. :)


Here are the ingredients you will need for this recipe. I pre-seasoned the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and garlic.


First off, start to cook your fettuccine. It is always nice to get the noodles out of the way, that way you aren't trying to play catchup at the very end. (Thanks, Pritch for telling me to use Fettuccine rather than Penne.)


Clean and quarter cut your mushrooms. One thing I learned about cleaning mushrooms is that you are not supposed to run them under water like regular vegetables. You aren't supposed to do this because the mushrooms will absorb the water. So, clean them gently with a wet rag.


Slice your onion.



Throw the onion slices into the pan with a couple tablespoons of butter. You want to caramelize the onions, so cover the pan and let them cook on medium-low for 10-15 minutes.


Once they are brown, remove them from the pan and set aside.


Turn your heat up to medium-high. Add the rest of the butter and brown chicken on both sides (~2-3 minutes per side). Remove your chicken and set aside for later.


Turn you heat back down to low and add a cup of chicken broth. You want to make sure you completely deglaze the pan with the broth. After doing so, stir in the milk and balsamic vinegar.


Add your mushrooms and cover. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes. 


Once time has surpassed, add your chicken, turn your heat to medium-high and cover for another 15-20 minutes. 


Remove your chicken once again and add your parmesan cheese and onions.


Once stirred, I felt like my sauce was too thin, so I added a tablespoon and a half of flour. Once your sauce has thickened, pour over your pasta and chicken and serve. Sprinkle more parmesan cheese over it all if you'd like.




Recipe:

Ingredients
3-4 chicken breasts
8 ounces of fettuccine
1 package of mushrooms
1 large white onion
1 cup of parmesan cheese
1 cup of chicken broth
1/2 stick of butter
1 1/2 cups of whole milk
3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
salt
pepper
garlic (powder or minced)
1-2 tablespoons of flour (optional)


Directions
  1. Cook your pasta and set aside.
  2. Quarter your mushrooms and slice the onion.
  3. Add the onion and a couple tablespoons of butter. Caramelize your onion on low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Remove from pan.
  4. Turn heat to medium-high and add the rest of the butter and chicken. Brown on each side for 2-3 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
  5. Turn down your heat and add the chicken broth. Deglaze your pan and stir in the milk and vinegar. 
  6. Add your mushrooms and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
  7. Turn up your heat to medium-high and add your chicken. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes. Remove chicken again.
  8. Stir in parmesan cheese and onions. If you feel like the sauce is too thin, add flour to get it to the consistency you want.
  9. Serve sauce over chicken and pasta. 



No comments:

Post a Comment