Sunday, July 29, 2012

Shrimp Tacos with Traditional Toppings


After living in New Orleans for just over a month now, I decided that it is about time that I start making more seafood. A market down the street brings in fresh seafood daily and I thought that I would take full advantage of it. So, from looking at the fresh crawfish, lobster, etc., I decided to start off easy. I picked shrimp, so I grabbed a couple pounds and took off. Preparing the shrimp was fine until I had to devein. Word to the wise, if you are doing something simple like fish tacos, buy the peeled and deveined kind. It will certainly make dinner and cleanup much easier.

While I would have chosen to make a fresh mango salsa or guacamole to top these tacos, the fiance is extremely picky. So, if you check back at more recipes and say, "Darn it Heath, you could have spiced that up," just know that more likely than not, I wanted to. That aside, today I went with the basic toppings for a regular taco, but decided to semi-fry the shrimp. 

If you want to get to this,


you have to start with this...


A little wine for yourself, but for cooking, you may need some of this...

 (along with with a couple of other ingredients)


To start, season your shrimp with salt and minced garlic. Add just enough lime juice to completely cover each piece of shrimp. Set aside to marinade for 15-20 minutes.


Meanwhile, heat up a frying pan and to start grilling the onions. Add whatever spices you like. I chose to use sea salt and a lemon and black pepper seasoning.


Once the time has surpassed for the marinading of your shrimp, drain the lime juice. Immediately add breadcrumbs to each side of the shrimp. Keep in mind that you are not using a sticking agent, so breadcrumbs will not completely hold. Warm the olive oil in a pan then gently add each piece of shrimp. I used the same pan I used for the onions so I could incorporate the onion flavor into the shrimp.



Let the shrimp cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until the bottom turns golden brown. Once done, add your shrimp, onions, cheese, and lettuce to your tortillas. I chose to side these tacos with a basic salad of romaine lettuce and cucumbers. Enjoy! 



Recipe:

Ingredients
10-15 pieces of shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 teaspoons of salt, divided
3 tablespoons of olive oil
2 limes
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon of lemon and pepper seasoning
1 onion, chopped
1 cup of breadcrumbs
1 cup of cheese, shredded
1 cup of lettuce, shredded
tortillas


Directions
  1. Marinade shrimp by adding garlic, sea salt, and juice of the limes. Set aside for 20 minutes.
  2. Grill onions over medium head. Add 2 teaspoons of salt and the lemon and pepper seasoning.
  3. Drain the juice from the shrimp and cover the shrimp with breadcrumbs. Gently add the shrimp to a pan over medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
  4. Stuff the tortillas with the shrimp, cheese, grilled onions, and lettuce. 




No comments:

Post a Comment