Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Guilt-free chocolate protein ice cream


It was humid today. Dew points were in the low seventies and it was gross. Now, I know all my southern friends will be like, Heather, you're crazy you live in Wisconsin. Yes, I know and I know it can be much worse from living in New Orleans and Texas for awhile. ANYWAY, I didn't want to cook, and even tho I did, I wanted something cold. Cue the thoughts about Dairy Queen, Zesty's Custard, and Culver's.
It really doesn't have to be humid or hot out for me to want ice cream. If you look in my freezer, I have at least three different flavors at one time. Is it my favorite food? YUP. Weird, I know. With that being said, I needed to find a way that I could enjoy my favorite food without being guilty about it afterward. The idea came to me when some coworkers and I were talking about the different combos of Plexus shakes we love. When I mentioned that I alway freeze bananas, Jacqui said that she likes to make ice cream with them (Thanks, girl!). I had heard about doing before but had never tried it. So not only is this guilt free, but I added protein to it to make it even better! I added chocolate this time, but my husband is a vanilla fan, so we will be adding that next time. The best part of this is that you can add whatever you want to this. Don't like the taste of bananas? Add peanut butter! It totally changes the flavor, and who doesn't love chocolate peanut butter combinations anyway? Want to get crazy and add candy? DO IT! Add some whip cream, a cherry and even some sprinkles? Get down with your bad self! Seriously though, make this recipe, because this stuff is bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s. (See what I did there?)

The base of this ice cream - frozen bananas! Pro tip, don't be lazy. Before putting them in the freezer, peel and cut them up into a container. It makes it much easier later.

Cut into chunks and add to food processor and mix!

\
This will be your base! This is where you can get creative and add anything you want! 

I chose chocolate this time and added a little coconut milk.

I personally love when it is this consistency. It's like a thick milkshake, but if you want it more like ice cream, throw it in the freezer for a couple hours. 

You can put it in an air tight container or just add cling wrap like me. 



Ingredients
2-3 frozen bananas
A splash or two of coconut milk


Directions
  1. Put everything in your food processor or blender and mix. 
  2. Either eat as is or throw it in the freezer for a bit to enjoy later. 


No comments:

Post a Comment